As per the recent reports, depression is one of the biggest challenges that Americans are facing today. In fact, going by the reports, depression affects one in every fifteen adults in any year in America. With the growing cases of depression, it becomes vital to understand about the issue, its symptoms, causes and treatments. This article will throw some light on depression and everything related to it.
What is Depression?
Let us understand that Depression and associated states of mind is an emotional and psychological disorder that research in a state of sadness,misery and lack of interest in day to day activity which creates a lots of problem in family and social life. It negatively affects the way you feel, think, look at things and behave. Long lasting depression can cause a variety of emotional and physical problems. Moreover, it can affect your day-to-day life by reducing your ability to carry on your every task at work and home.
Symptoms of Depression
Symptoms of depression may vary from mild to severe, depending on person to person. However, some of the common symptoms of depressions are:
- Persistent feeling of sadness, loneliness, emptiness, tears or depressed mood
- Losing interest in activities and things that you use to enjoy once
- Episodes of anger outbursts, frustration, irritability over insignificant matters
- A sudden change in appetite leading to weight gain or loss
- Trouble in sleeping, sleep disturbance including insomnia or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or constantly feeling tired and fatigue
- Experiencing anxiety, restlessness or agitation
- Frequent thoughts of suicide or death
- Difficulty in concentrating, thinking, remembering things and decision making
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Unexplained physical problems, including backaches or headaches
- Coping with Depression
There are various measures that you can take in order to cope with depression. These preventive measures can help you reduce the symptoms of depression and make you feel better.
- Indulge in regular exercise and meditation, which can help you build positive feelings and uplift your mood.
- Ensure that you have a healthy diet. Avoid unhealthy habits like alcohol consumption and smoking.
- It is important to get regular and quality sleep.
- Take measures to control your stress levels and try to increase your resilience.
- Reach out to friends and family for help when you are facing episodes of depression.
- Seek treatment from professionals who can help you overcome the issue and lead a normal stress-free life.
If the above-mentioned measures do not work and you still feel overwhelmed, it is essential that you see a doctor or seek professional help from a counselor. A proper diagnosis and treatment from a therapist can prove to be very helpful in overcoming the issue. Remember, depression is a common issue and there is nothing to feel ashamed or bad about it. Just seek help and lead a happy and healthy life.
When to See a Doctor?
When nothing seems to work out and you feel you may hurt yourself or your loved ones, take the step and call a doctor. In fact, it is advisable to get help as soon as you see the first symptom of depression.
The Bottom Line
An issue like depression requires treatment, but do not get discouraged. There are enough cases where people have overcome the issue with proper treatment and help. So next time, you see someone struggling with depression or you yourself are suffering from the same, be persistent about finding the right medical care. A mix of medication and counseling works the best in such cases. Talk therapy is very helpful in such cases. A counselor can help you identify the root cause of your depression, and help you overcome it with proper treatment and therapies. Moreover, talking to a therapist gives you a new perspective on problems and makes things easier for you.
Living in Wellbeing is a renowned counselling center in Kerala, India. It offers in-person as well as online counselling sessions. The sessions are completely private and done on one to one basis. The counselor personally talks to the patient and understands their feelings and issues. After analyzing the situation, proper medication is designed to overcome the issue. The treatment provides long-term results and helps you lead a happy and healthy life.
So, don’t let depression depress you, fight it back and defeat it!