It is easier than you think to live a healthy lifestyle. As a matter of fact, it is very natural. So if you want to live or maintain a healthy lifestyle or make healthy lifestyle changes, follow the tips below:
1. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Protect the good health you already have. Know what the weaknesses are, for example, has anyone in your family had any heart disease, diabetes or other illnesses. Take action that could prevent these happening to you. Have regular check ups, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose etc.
2. Increase your fitness. Start by introducing exercise into your life. You don’t need to sweat at a gym for hours on end, just 20 minutes brisk walking each day will get you started. If 20 minutes is too much, start with 10 minutes, and increase gradually. Exercise produces endorphins, and endorphins make you feel good.
3. Make healthier choices in your diet. This doesn’t mean that you have to give up your favourite foods but you introduce other foods, especially green leafy vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, bok choy to your daily eating routine. Aim for five serves of vegetables a day. Increase the healthier foods and decrease the processed foods, the ones high in sugar, fats and additives.
4. Make changes gradually. Eat a variety of foods; make sure you get enough protein and fewer carbohydrates. Lean red meat two or three times a week will supply your body with zinc, iron and vitamin B. If you’re vegetarian, seek alternatives. Don't expect to totally revamp your eating habits overnight. Changing too much, too fast can get in the way of success. Begin to remedy excesses or deficiencies with modest changes that can add up to positive, lifelong eating habits.
5. Take part in healthy activities. If you’re in the habit of watching TV for hours on end, change your behavior. Start a hobby, join a social group, take dance classes, anything that gets you moving more.
6. Do some voluntary work, help others less fortunate than yourself; make someone else happy. This will make you happier as well.
7. Look after your emotional well-being. It is hard to be your best if you are angry, sad, or depressed all the time. Therefore strive to resolve any existing emotional conflicts. Discuss these with the people involved or seek counselling, join an anger group or attend group therapy. Better still join a laughter group.
8. Work is important but do not overwork. Strike a balance between your work life, family life and social life. There is nothing healthier than meeting up with friends, having a good time and spending time with your children.
9. Equally important for a healthy life is relaxation or meditation. If you know how to meditate, do this twice daily, morning and evening for 20 minutes. If not, take time out to relax, shut down your mind, you know, get a rest from that incessant babble that goes on there.
10. Go to bed early, allowing enough time for 7 or 8 hours rest. When you rest, your body repairs itself and replenishes your energy. Wake up with the sunrise. It will get you naturally in tune with the day.