Mangosteen is a fruit of the tropical area and it is known as “The Queen of Tropical Fruits.” It has got a unique flavor and an appearance similar to that of brinjal. This purple fruit is white and juicy. It was a fruit loved by the people of Asia before. But now people of Europe as well as America love this fruit a lot. This is one of the fruits that you can rely on if you want to have a healthy life.
The botanical family of the Mangosteen is Clusiaceae and the scientific name of the fruit is Garcinia Mangostana. It is mainly produced in Thailand. In Thailand, it is known as Mangkhud. Thailand produces and exports Mangosteens in large numbers. The Mangosteen tree grows to a maximum height of 60 ft and is mainly found in the tropical rainforests of countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. It is also grown in India and Sri Lanka, since these countries have a humid climate. Usually the fruit is found in market during June to October.
Mangosteen is deep purple in color, is round in shape and has a green calyx. A fully mature fruit will be around 4 to 7 cm in diameter. The rind is really hard and is around 10 cm thick. The latex is yellow in color and this can bring black stains in clothes. The fruit is in segments just like an orange. The segment has one or four seeds which are off white in color. The seeds are bitter, but the fruit is very sweet and has a tangy flavor.
The fruit is grown in the tropical belt of Africa, South East Asia and South America. Button Mangosteen or Cherapu is found in Malaysia. It has orange like shape and can be peeled by hand easily just like oranges. In Malayan peninsula, you will be able to find Lemon drop mangosteens which are around 2 to 4 cm in diameter. In West Africa, you get African mangosteen or Imbe which are much larger than the lemon drop mangosteens in large numbers.
Some of the Health Benefits of Mangosteen
- Mangosteen is very delicious and juicy and is a popular tropical fruit that is loaded with lots of essential nutrients that is needed for the body and its well being.
- The fruit is low in calories and does not have any kind of saturated fat or cholesterol. It is a fiber rich fruit, hence is good for your health.
- Consuming Mangosteen will provide you with a whole lot of Vitamin C needed for your body. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is very much soluble in water. While consuming fruits that are full of Vitamin C, the body will get the right protection against all kinds of infections and also from pro inflammatory free radicals.
- Fruits provide you with B complex vitamins like folates, thiamin and niacin. Such vitamins help in the body’s metabolism. It metabolizes fats, carbohydrates and fats in the right way.
- Mangosteen also contains minerals in large amounts. You will be able to find that the minerals like magnesium, copper, and manganese are found in abundance in this fruit. It also has potassium that helps to protect against stroke and all kinds of heart diseases. Potassium is found in the body’s cells and the fluids of the body. It helps to control the blood pressure and helps to keep the heart rate in check.
Storage of the Fruit
Mangosteens can be found in abundance during summer season. The purple fruit when ripe is picked carefully without damaging as the skin injury on the outer skin will spread the bitter latex to the flesh that is edible into something that is bitter, thus making it inedible. Choosing a fresh mangosteen is really simple. You must check if the fruit is heavy and has a firm green colored calyx. Never pick those which look dry and have injured skin. Store the ripe fruit in a well ventilated cool area. This will make it stay for two weeks. If you want to save it for more days, make sure to refrigerate it.
Remove the dust and dirt by washing the surface. Using a paring knife, make an incision in the equatorial circumference. Then gently pull the skin to enjoy the sweet white inner flesh. Include this fruit to your diet as when you choose to eat healthy, you prefer to stay healthy.