Brahmi is a world renowned herb for its effectiveness in memory boosting and promoting mind alertness. It is also commonly known as Indian pennywort and Bacopa monnieri in Latin. It is widely used as an antioxidant and in improving the brain cell functions. It helps in increasing mental capacity and decreasing mental stress. It is believed that due to the memory enhancing property of brahmi, it has been promoted as a brain tonic by ancient gurus in India, to make there disciples (students) learn and retain all the knowledge given to them by heart.
Benefits of Brahmi
* It helps in improving intelligence level and mind alertness
* It maintains mental calmness and is effective in treating mental imbalances, emotional disturbances and also in the prevention and cure of geriatric mental problems such as amnesia and Alzheimer's
* It is also helpful in increasing mental concentration level
* It also helps in improving mental performance and increasing learning capacity
* It is also given to the patients suffering from insomnia. It helps in relieving them from all their stresses and makes them feel good and relaxed. Brahmi, vacha and amalaki powders are mixed in equal proportions and given thrice a day in the dose of one teaspoon to the patients to get them relief from sleeping disorders
* It helps in decreasing anxiety and mental fatigue and promotes freshness in mind
* It is also useful in maintaining normal body temperature thus relieving body from hyperthermia and fevers
* It is also very effective in treating menstrual disorders and painful menses
* Brahmi oil is extensively used to cure hair loss and dandruff problem. Its antioxidant properties help in the proper nourishment of the hair roots and thus promote their growth. The oil also prevents split ends and discoloration of the hair
* It is useful in the treatment of epilepsy. The juice of the plant is extracted and used in the preparation of the medicine. In the treatment of epilepsy, brahmi is traditionally used in conjunction with vacha.
Other popularly known ayurvedic herbs that are traditionally known to improve memory are Shankapushpi and Gotu Kola. All these herbs including Brahmi are medhya herbs, which mean they improve the coordination between dhi (learning), dhriti (retention) and smriti (long-term memory).
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.
Article Source: http://goarticles.com/article/Benefits-of-Brahmi-Increase-Memory-and-Mind-Alertness/484510/