1. Stay away situations and places where you might be tempted to drink. Don't hang out at the places where you used to drink and stop associating with old "drinking buddies".
2. Throw away all the alcohol in the house. If you have a spouse or roommate who drinks alcohol, kindly ask if they could drink when you're not around.
3. Take it one day, one second, or even one hour at a time.
4. Tell all your friends and family that want to quit drinking alcohol. Get support and encouragement from people who have been in your shoes and can help you with your goal.
5. Give yourself a reward when you don't drink alcohol. For every day, week, or month that passes in which don't drink, give yourself a gift for reaching that goal. Celebrate those victories!
6. Visualize yourself in the future when you're completely alcohol-free. Visualization is very powerful in helping you make the right decisions. Do these visualization exercises in the morning and evening.
7. Give yourself realistic goals. Maybe you can't quit cold turkey, so perhaps you could gradually cut down you alcohol intake day by day.
8. Get help with the psychological and emotional issues related to your alcoholism. Many people begin drinking alcohol to get away from problems or maybe alcoholism is something that has been going on in the family for some time. Find someone you feel comfortable talking to about these problems.
9. Find positive and meaningful hobbies to keep you busy.
10. Never give up!
Article Source: http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/10-Ways-to-Stop-Drinking-Alcohol/349458