Press Play Button Below, Synchronize Reading & Listening "Habits Podcast" *An Audio Blog*
How often do you find yourself forgetting something important? Memory loss or memory distortion can target anyone at any age. However, forgetfulness is not necessarily an indication of just a faulty memory. It may be a sign underlying an unhealthy brain and a variety of mental disorders.
Why does it happen?
Of the many ways that memory shows its imperfections, the most prevalent by far is forgetting. Here are some common reasons why that happens.
- Lack of sleep: One of the greatest unappreciated causes of forgetfulness is lack of sleep. Too little rest can lead to mood changes and anxiety that ultimately leads to problems with memory.
- Thyroid and other medication: Tranquilizers, antidepressants and other medications can affect memory. Moreover, a faltering thyroid can also be a cause of forgetfulness. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you suspect that this could be a reason for your weakening memory.
- Stress and anxiety: Stressful situations can make one have a tunnel-vision focus. Both anxiety and stress make it difficult to concentrate and use the necessary information and skills.
- Addiction: Being under the constant influence of alcohol or drugs can lead to short-term memory. It continues to be so even after the effects of it have worn off.
- Depression: Depression can be a cause or a reason for forgetfulness. The sad emotions appear as a blanket over all rational thoughts and interfere with attention. It blocks the formation of new memories or the retrieval of old ones.
The habit of being forgetful can be troublesome and very frustrating. It may also lead to a disappointing performance in day to day activities. Everyone experiences periods of sadness, stress, grief and conflict and there is no shame in consulting a professional therapist or a counselor.
Living in Wellbeing’s therapeutic intervention, especially psychotechnology, you will be able to deal with this unjustified stigma around mental illnesses. With basic stress-relievers like exercising, motivational talks and eating right, you will be guided through multiple strategies that help make life easier. Our focus is solely on providing professional guidance and hence our treatment modalities will be of great help. Get in touch with us today!
Article Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-forget-things/answer/Dr-Purushothaman-Kollam-2