Do you space out in the middle of conversations? Do you think your thoughts are not organized? Do you feel forgetful? Absent-mindedness is a condition where a person shows the inattentive or forgetful behaviour. Such memory slips are frustrating, aggravating and sometimes worrisome. So, what causes us to be absent-minded?
Why we are absent-minded?
- Lack of sleep- The greatest unappreciated cause of forgetfulness is perhaps some lack of sleep. It could be due to stress, anxiety or lifestyle patterns that cause one to lose sleep and contribute to problems with memory.
- Addiction- Drinking too much alcohol or consuming drugs can interfere with short-term memory.
Depression- stifling sadness lessens pleasure in things you ordinarily enjoy. It causes you to lose interest and lack enthusiasm in the things you do making you forgetful.
What can we do to avoid this?
There are various things you can do which will improve your focus eventually.
- Avoid multitasking- Do one thing at a time. This will make it easier for you to focus on what you are doing and you can complete the task efficiently
- Meditate- Meditation improves your focus and concentration power. If you catch yourself daydreaming, you will be more vigilant in immediately bringing back your attention to what you are doing.
- Avoid fretting and worrying- Get enough sleep at night and keep away from stress and anxiety. They tend to keep most part of your brain occupied and you will not find it in you to be attentive.
Being absent-minded is a common disorder where people lose interest in life, experience fatigue, and quite often have trouble controlling their emotions. Sometimes these feelings can be so overbearing that it seems impossible to move on. It is hence important to know that help is available for every kind of problem life thrown your way.
Get in touch with the therapists at Living in Wellbeing. Certain facets of life are stressful and with monitored sessions, you can find the cause or source of your problems. Our health experts then help you find appropriate ways to overcome them. Let us help you to build a safe, happy and healthy life.