Elderberry has health benefits for anthocyanin antioxidants. The medicinal use of berries and flower was well acquainted by the early settlers of North America, long before Spanish and European explorer could re-discover. Near the arctic regions of the Northern hemisphere, the indigenous natives are attributed to longevity and wellness of these tiny round blue-purple berries.
Elderberry is a tiny deciduous tree whose height is 7 to 10 meters. However, when under cultivation their height is intentionally limited to a few meters for side unroll and growth of fruit yield. The plant in its second and third year starts planting and fruiting respectively. White/Creamy flowers roof the shrub in cluster amid fresh summertime. 8 to 10 mm black/purple berries are fit to gather close June till September, which is done through hand picking. Due to weight of berries in cluster drape inverted and bend at the time of maturity.
European (black) and American (common) elderberries are two species which require nitrogen and well-drained sand to flourish. The former are intense tart and rare edible raw, while the latter is sugary and tangy. Due to the possible toxicity color variants other than navy or plum are edible. It requires wide luminous circumstances and disdainful of shadow, like the blueberry shrub. The kernel can be harvested only when they are soft and absolutely darkened or deep purple.
Tips to stay healthy
- The tiny 100g of berries possesses 73 calories, which has unique health benefit plant nutrients like tint photochemical tocopherol, anthocyanins, magnesia and multivitamins which contributes upwards beefy wellbeing and wellness.
- Edible berries possess excessive tocopherol intensity with ORAC value 100g equal to 10775 TE which is less than blueberries (5562 TE). Antioxidant value comes mainly taken away polyphenol pigment (like blueberries) compounds like pigments isorhamnetol, tetrahydroxyflavone, meletin, etc. These compounds protect human body from cancer, mature, chronic illness and contamination by slinking free oxygen radicals.
- Elderberries possess vitamin C, a natural strong aqua dissolvable, 100g carries 36mg/60% of its which fights against the viral flu and cancer, boosts immunity, heal wounds & repair tissue including gristle.
- It provide per 100g, 600 IU/20% RDA other than blueberries (54 IU/100g), alder (214 IU/100g), etc. as source of vitamin A which helps in maintaining mucosa, skin, eye and safeguard against bronchi/oral cancer.
- It also provides vitamin B complex category like nicotinic, pyridoxal (18% RDI/100g), folacin including panthothenic acid. These metabolize carbohydrates, protein and fats and work as co-factors of those enzymes.
- Moreover, it possesses rocks like Cyanamide, kainite, manganite, steel and apatite. Potassium controls soul speed including lifeblood force, manganese as tocopherol telomerase, SOD, bronzer and iron produces and forms red blood cells respectively.
- Elder plant parts like bloom, including mature berry are edible, while yap, frond including radicle possess highly toxic alkaloids which shall be shunned.
- Black elder blossom cozy (general house cure) has been used to cure flu symptoms, berries and flower have been used as traditional medicine around the world.
- The fruit extraction is used as anti-catarrh, expectorant, circulating stimulus, including community denying-provoking action.
How to get healthy life?
In US and Europe elderberry season starts from June till September where harvesting is done by handpicking. The clusters berries are part away the shrub or for extended utility it may be retained refrigerator. The process, stem is accessible black elder are put for sale on farmer’s markets. Because of the tiny size and intense tart flavor, raw elderberries are not paying attention. It is generally used to produce jittery, syrup, etc. which is bought by potential customers/little gamut crop slayer.
If you wish to buy, avoid red, shriveled, handed over, injuries, signs of old stock and mold and buy those which are ripened, plump, intact, black/purple color.
Easy health tips
Before use the arcid taste stalk has to be removed, which is firmly attached to the top end like in cherry. The bunch of berry is hardened by keeping in the freezer so that separating from panicle becomes easy by disrobe or shake off. Easy way is by combing the panicle through fork. After separating, it is either defrost for processing or re-freeze for future need. Yet of the sweet, but extremely tart flavor, it is preferred to consume after cooking.
- Across Europe, refreshing drink of flower cordial is favorite in summer and elder-flower/dry berry tea is a special drink.
- Berries are used in preparing jams, syrup and concentrates.
- In Germany, cold elderberry soup, drink is traditional in the summer.
- In cakes, pie, summer pudding, crumbles, muffins, etc. dry elderberries are used.
Edible elderberries are blue/black/purple varieties of S. Canadensis and S. Nigra only. Red elders are to be avoided as they are poisonous. Nausea, vomiting and neurological symptoms are found when consumption of leaves, roots and stem are done as it carries cyanidin alkaloid.