Pear is a fruit that has the crunchy goodness of apples and the juicy taste of peach. The health benefits of pears are many and we need to include them in our daily diet to give our bodies its complete goodness. It comes under the family of Rosaceae. The pome fruit plants are usually found in the northern part of the globe and also in some of the semi tropical areas. The trees are average sized and bear fruit with small seeds as in apple. The seeds are placed inside a hard capsule. Apple, medlar, Loquat and quince also come under the pome family.
There are two classifications of pears based on their origin. They are European pears and Asian pears. The Asian pears usually have a crisp texture and have firm flesh. On the other hand, the European pears are very soft and even juicier when they are ripe. Pears have a bell shape and are around 150 to 200 grams in weight. It has the flavor of apples. The skin of European pears is very thin while the Asian ones are a little thicker. The fruit’s central portion is similar to that of apples.
Health benefits of Pears
- Pear fruit is low in calorie. With low calorie and high fiber content in pears helps in reducing the body weight. It also helps to reduce to LDL blood cholesterol levels.
- The fruit is filled with nutrients that are essential for health like minerals, dietary fiber and antioxidants that are very good for maintaining a good healthy body.
- Pear Fruit is extremely rich in fiber content and all essential Vitamins and minerals. Eating pears on a regular basis will give protection against colon cancer. Non soluble polysaccharide or NSP is the fiber that is present in pears. It has the property of a bulk laxative inside the gut. The fiber content in the fruit covers the toxins causing cancer and even the chemicals inside the colon, protecting the mucous membrane from getting contact with such compounds.
- Vitamin C is found in rich amounts in pears. A normal fresh pear fruit contains good amount of vitamin c.
- Pears have a rich source of minerals in them like magnesium, potassium, copper, iron, B-complex vitamins like riboflavin, folate and pyridoxine.
- Pears are usually not allergic in nature and can be consumed by anyone.
- For treating colitis, gout disorders, arthritis and gallbladder disorders, consumption of this fruit is very important.
Storage and selection
We get fresh pears in almost all stores. Asian pears are found in the market by August and September. When we pick pears from the store, make sure to choose firm fruits with bright skin. Do not choose those with pressure marks on a surface as pressure on the fruit can affect the flesh and taste. They can be wrapped in paper for ripening and for storing them; you can keep them in baskets. Refrigerating them will make them stay longer.
Serving and preparing
You need to wash the fruit and remove dirt on the skin before consuming it. Cut the ends and make them into two halves. The central part has seeds. Remove them and serve. Since they can get brown while exposed to air, add a few drops of lemon to maintain its color. The fruit has a lot of vitamins and minerals just below the skin. Hence, they should be consumed along with skin to gain maxim benefits. Make sure to wash in salt water and vinegar mix to remove pesticides on the skin.
They can be used for preparing jams, squashes, juice, fruit salad and pie. Pear can be dried and can be added to food for babies. Eat healthy food like pears to stay healthy. Begin your day with a rich supply of pears and similar fruits to brighten up your day.