According to your dentist, your wisdom teeth must always be taken out. However, why should you remove them in case they do not cause any discomfort? In this article, we have mentioned an overview of wisdom teeth, their symptoms, and the preventative measures to be taken.
Wisdom teeth overview
Impacted wisdom teeth happen to be the 3rd molars at the rear part of the mouth, which do not have enough space to develop or emerge normally. These types of teeth are actually the last adult teeth to appear in the mouth. The majority of the individuals have as many as 4 wisdom teeth at the rear part of the mouth - 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.
Impacted wisdom teeth might lead to damage and pain to other teeth and might also cause other dental issues. On some occasions, these teeth might not cause any immediate or apparent problems. However, since it is difficult to clean them, they are more susceptible to gum disease and tooth decay than any other teeth.
Impacted wisdom teeth causing discomfort and other complications are going to be removed on most occasions. Some oral surgeons and dental practitioners likewise advise removing impacted wisdom teeth, which do not lead to any issues for preventing problems from happening in the future.
Symptoms of Wisdom teeth:
Impacted wisdom teeth do not always cause symptoms. Nevertheless, once an impacted wisdom tooth gets infected, it might damage other teeth and can also cause several dental problems. Below, we have mentioned some of these indications or symptoms:
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Inflated or red gums
- Bad breath
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Crowding of other teeth
What does wisdom teeth can lead to?
Impacted wisdom teeth might lead to severe problems within the mouth. It might cause:
- Jaw damage: Cysts can form in and around the new teeth. In case you do not treat them properly, they might hollow out the jaw while damaging the nerves.
- Damage to other teeth: If the impacted wisdom tooth begins to push against the 2nd molar, it might damage that molar or increase the threat of infection in that particular region. The resulting pressure might likewise cause issues with the crowding of other teeth. Orthodontic treatment might be required for straightening the other teeth.
- Cysts: The wisdom tooth can form a sac inside the jawbone. This particular sac can be filled with fluid and can form a cyst that might damage the teeth, nerves, and the jawbone. In rare cases, a tumor (usually benign) can also develop. In case of such complications, the removal of bone and tissue might be required.
- Tooth decay: Wisdom teeth that have been partially impacted appear to be more vulnerable to tooth decay as compared to other teeth. This happens only because wisdom teeth are more difficult to clean, and bacteria and food can easily become trapped between a partially erupted tooth and the gum.
- Gum disease: It is a fact that it is quite difficult to clean impacted and partially erupted wisdom teeth. This can enhance the threat of developing an inflammatory and painful gum condition known as pericoronitis in that particular region.
It might be a fact that the wisdom teeth do not cause any discomfort whatsoever. However, it does not indicate that nothing is wrong. The teeth can get stuck or impacted. This implies that they will not be able to break through the jaw into your mouth. Perhaps your mouth is quite small to provide any space for them or develop at a particular angle to the other teeth.
They can cause damage to other teeth by pushing against them. You will come across some dentists who are taking out healthy molars to prevent any problems afterward. Once you become old, the bones within your mouth become harder, making it more difficult to remove the teeth. In case you wait, you might face problems following surgery that can result in fractured teeth as well as heavy bleeding. There can likewise be some loss of movement within your jaw. These issues might last for several days or throughout your entire life.
Although it is not possible to prevent an impaction from happening, it will be sensible to have regular 6-month dental appointments at Skymark Smile Centre where you can also consult on dental implants. This will help your dental practitioner to track the development of your wisdom teeth.
Apart from this, dental x-rays that have been updated regularly might likewise indicate any impacted wisdom tooth before the development of any symptom out there.