The Importance of Professionalism in the Workplace
by PATRICIA DORCH
Are you professional in the workplace? Did you know you are expected to demonstrate professionalism in every area of your job? A lack of professionalism can have a negative impact on your career, salary, promotion and your personal brand.
Why is professionalism important in the workplace?
Whether you are a new or experienced professional, everything you need to demonstrate professionalism in the workplace is in: Professionalism: New Rules for Workplace Career Success.
Professionalism in the workplace is essential to every organization in the 21st Century. Every employer has rules and standards how employees are expected to act regardless of - race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and diverse differences.
Employees should maintain a level of professionalism in the workplace and adhere to employers written and unwritten rules, expectations and code of ethics guidelines for - adherence to confidentiality agreements, data privacy, conflict resolution, business accountability and other policies and procedures.
The corporate culture has become relaxed over the years with business casual attire - this has increased unprofessional behavior and relaxed standards. How you look, act and communicate in every area of your job determines whether you are a professional. Listed are professional characteristics and unprofessional traits you should avoid in your career.
Ten Essential Characteristics of a Professional Employee
1. Integrity - Make the correct choice when faced with the right or wrong decision.
2. Professional Appearance - Includes attire and accessories minus visible tattoos and non-religious piercing.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
4. Positive attitude and behavior
5. Active listening skills - Listen to what is said and not said.
6. Good work ethic - Complete assignments on time.
7. Self confidence - Has a can do attitude.
8. Self control - Knows how to control emotions.
9. Self awareness - Understand your personal style and adapts to others.
10.Positive interpersonal skills.
Employees serious about their careers should create an action plan to improve unprofessional traits. To have a successful career and achieve your professional goals address the traits that can prevent you from being considered for employment and promotions.
Ten Red Flag Traits of an Unprofessional Employee
1. Lacks integrity.
2. Unprofessional attire and visible tattoos and non-religious piercing.
3. Lacks good oral and written communication skills.
4. Poor attitude - negative behavior.
5. Does not listen when others speak.
6. Poor work ethic - Does not take work seriously or complete tasks on time.
7. Lacks self-confidence - Frequently needs assurance to accomplish goals.
8. Lacks self-control - Unable to control emotions.
9. Lacks self awareness - Does not have the communication skills to adapt to others.
10.Lacks positive interactions skills.
How Can You Be a Professional?
Everything you do in the workplace requires you demonstrate professionalism. Professionalism starts with how you conduct yourself during the interview process. Once you are hired professionalism is expected and required in every area of your job and interactions with others.
You can be a professional by learning cutting-edge information that will provide practical advice every professional can use to manage work and business situations and contribute to the profitability of the organization.
Career success begins with professionalism.- PATRICIA DORCH
Copyright 2012 - Reprint with Permission by Author
About the Author
PATRICIA DORCH is the President of EXECU DRESS. She is an Author, Speaker and Career Expert. Patricia provides Speaker services for Professional Development and Job Search Seminars at Conferences, Career Fairs, Colleges, Universities, Government Agencies, Associations, Administrative Professionals and Military Transition to Civilian Job Market Events and other Regional or Local Training.
Patricia is the Author of: Professionalism: New Rules for Workplace Career Success, Job Search: New Get Hired Ideas, Tips and Strategies for 40 Plus and Six Figure Career Coaching Advice: The Ultimate Guide for Achieving Success.
Coming August 2012 - Her New Book: Job Search: Teen Interview Tips and Strategies to Get Hired.
Article Source: http://goarticles.com/article/Professionalism-The-Importance-of-Professionalism-in-the-Workplace/6812450/