In the present world, health is not merely an issue of doctors, social services and hospitals but it is an issue of social justice. Health has a common theme in most cultures meaning absence of disease or it is in relation with harmony (being at peace with self, community and God).
In most of world health continues to be a neglected entity, it is often taken for granted and its value is not fully understood until it is lost. However, slowly there is awakening among people about health being a fundamental right and essential goal, essential for basic human needs to improve the quality of life and should be attained by all to lead a socially and economically productive life.
There are so many definitions of health like:
1. Being sound in body's mind and spirit;
2. Freedom from physical disease and pain;
3. A state of relative equilibrium of body form and function.
But the broader definition would be that exists in WHO forums I.e.
Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely an absence of disease
From the above definition it signifies that:
-health is a fundamental human right;
-health is an integral part of development;
-health involves individual, state and international responsibility;
-health is a worldwide social goal;
-health has many dimensions e.g.
Physical dimension>clean skin, bright eyes, lustrous hair with body
well clothed, not too fat, a good appetite, sound sleep, regular activity of bowel and bladder. Normal B.P, pulse rate etc.
Mental dimension >state of balance between individual and surrounding world, a state of harmony between oneself and others,
E, g mentally healthy person is free from internal conflicts, well adjusted, searches for identity, has self esteem, knows himself. Faces problems and tries to solve them.
Social dimensions>implies harmony and integration within individuals between each individual and other members of society, between individuals and the world they live in.
Spiritual dimension> includes integrity, principles and ethics.
Emotional dimension> sense of feeling.
Then there are vocational, environmental, nutritional, educational
Health is multifactor, factors which influence health is both within the individual and externally in the society in which he or she lives. Thus the conceptually health of individuals and whole communities may be considered to be the result of many interactions.
•Families health societies
Then quality of health depends on nutritional status and health care delivery.
Disruption of health results from complex interaction between man,
agent and environment.
E.g. Change in life style and stress leads to:
1. Abundance of food.
2. Lack of physical activity.
4. Emotional disturbances.
All this can end up with obesity and hypertension which are adverse to health.
So what are the modes of intervention to have a healthy life:
-health promotion: By eating healthy food.
-Early diagnosis and treatment.
Modern World is facing an increased pandemic of diseases due to unhealthy eating habits differing from country to country with region to region.
Unlimited race for development, stress at work, no time to relax views all contribute to unhealthy eating habits which ultimately leads to a syndrome called metabolic syndrome including Obesity, Hyperlipidemia, Insulin resistance and Hypertension. This syndrome is challenging to the present world with high morbidity and mortality.
So it is important for us to switch over to a balanced diet and get rid of this ugly syndrome which is slowly and slowly engulfing us and killing us. We always concern about our health and want to know the nutrition food for our good health; so therefore, I consulted the Dr Ajaz Bhat and discussed regarding the health issue. He highlighted the balance diet issue.
Firs of all, People have to understand the meaning of Balanced diet meaning:
A. The daily requirement of proteins should be met. This amounts to 15-20% of daily energy intake.
B. The fat requirement should be limited to 20-30% of daily energy intake.
C. Carbohydrates rich in natural fibre should constitute remaining energy. Now to attain a balanced diet certain dietary goal has to be achieved. E, g-dietary fat limited to 20-30% of total dietary intake.
-Unsaturated vegetable oils should be substituted.
-Excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates should be avoided.
Carbohydrates rich in natural fibre should be taken.
-Sources rich in energy such as fats and alcohol should be restricted.
-Salt intake should be reduced to 5 g/day.
-Protein should amount to 15-20% of daily intake
-Junk food such as colas, ketchups and other food that supply empty calories should be reduced.
Since persons who are deviating from the balanced diet are developing CV diseases, Diabetes, Obesity and Cancer etc.
It is also important for the persons to keep:
1. Food hygiene which is a potential source of infection and is liable to get contaminated by microorganisms at any given point during its journey from producer to consumer. Food hygiene in its widest sense implies hygiene in the production, handling and distribution and serving of all types of food.
The primary aim is to prevent food poisoning and other food borne
2. Milk hygiene e.g. Source may be; diary animal, human handler, environmental (vessels, polluted water, flies, dirt etc.).
3. Meat hygiene Involves meat inspection and clean slaughter houses.
3. Fish hygiene . Signs of fresh fish are: it is in state of stiffness and regular mates, grills are bright red, eyes clear and prominent.
4. Egg. Shouldn't be cracked.
5. Fruits and vegetables. They are an important source for the spread of pathogenic organisms, protozoans, Helminths. These infections are a serious menace to public health where sewage is used for growing vegetables. Vegetables which use raw in the form of salads pose a problem in food sanitation. People need to be educated to wash vegetables before eating them. We all think eating fruits means simply buying fruits, cutting it and just put into mouth. Its significance to know how to eat. Fruits should be eaten on an empty stomach or before the meal.
KIWI: This is a very good origin of Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin E and fibre.
APPLE: It has low vitamin C content.
STRAWBERRY: It has the highest level of antioxidant power among other fruits.
ORANGE: This is very good source of Vitamins C.
WATERMELON: It composed of 92% water and a source of Vitamin C and Potassium.
GUAVA & PAPAYA: They are contains in vitamins C and Guava is also in rich fibre. Papaya is a good source in carotene.