Also known as the Muskmelon, Cantaloupe is one of the very renowned forms of melon in all over the world. A proud member of the Cucurbitaceae family, the Cantaloupe is easy to be grown anywhere as it weighs only from 500gms to 5kgs. The botanical Cucumismelo is also famous by mush melon, rock melon, spanspek, and sweet melon. Some of the other Cucurbita family fruits are gourd, pumpkin, squash, and cucumber. Just like mangoes and watermelons, Cantaloupes are also the summer season fruit that grows well in well-drained sandy soil that too with excellent irrigation facilities. There are quite a variety of Cantaloupes found in the world like the European cantaloupe, the North American cantaloupe, the North American cantaloupe and Honeydew melons. Your resolution to eat healthy can take a new dimension when you are well aware of the immense nutritional benefits of this otherwise round fruit.
Health Benefits of Cantaloupe
- Extraordinarily delicious fruit, cantaloupe contains very low calories and fats. The calorie content of the fruit has been unbelievably low as just 100gms of the fruit contains only 34 calories. Entirely nutritious fruit, the muskmelons is rich in vitamins and mineral compounds that are most essential for optimum health.
- The health benefits of this miraculous fruit also include healthy vision since it is a high source of Vitamin A. It is also necessary for the maintenance of healthy mucous and skin. Quite a considerable rate of oral-cavity and lung cancer is prevented through the proper intake of such Vitamin A enriched fruits.
- Antioxidants flavonoids such as lutein, Cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene are packed in cantaloupe for health benefits of cell protection and protection of the whole body from oxygen-free radicals, which in turn act as the shield from colon, endometrial, lung, breast, prostate and pancreatic cancer.
- Not only this, cantaloupe is full of Zeaxanthin which is a very important dietary carotenoid which provides protective UV-light filtering functions thus protecting the eyes from ARMD disease in old age.
- Moreover, Cantaloupe is also a rich source of potassium and electrolyte. Potassium is the very vital element that protects the heart and helps in controlling the heart rate and the blood pressure level.
- A very moderate level of Vitamin B Complex is also present in this fruit. Vitamin C is also another component of this fruit which helps the human body to develop resistance against harmful oxygen free radicals.
Selecting and storing
For healthy living not only the intake of healthy food is required, but a fresh piece of the fruit is more welcome. This is a very much summer fruit, and if you opt to buy it from the market, then the organically produced ones are the best options since they are superior in taste as well as nutrient contents. At home, it needs a cool, dry place to remain fresh and intact in taste.
Allergies caused by Cantaloupe
Muskmelons usually come under the fruits that are safe to eat. It can be eaten by pregnant women as well as nursing mothers. But it has to be noted that as muskmelon is a member of the Cucurbita family, it can contain cucurbitacin toxin. This is the reason why you should avoid eating bitter tasting or even unripe muskmelons.
To avoid harm caused by the salmonella bacteria at areas of minor cracks on the fruit, you need to wash it thoroughly in cold running water before actually having it. The fruit can be sized, cubed or scooped depending on your wish in fruit salads, Jam, Juice or Sorbet. The taste of the melon is so sweet and rich that everyone loves to have muskmelons more often.