"Happiness doesn't depend on what we have, but it does depend on how we feel toward what we have. We can be happy with little and miserable with much." William Dempster Hoard
Happiness truly is an internal "thing" that radiates from the inside out. We can say that we will be happy once we have the bigger bank account, the larger house, the fast car, the great significant other; the bottom line is, if we aren't truly happy being who we are the external "stuff" won't mean a thing. Think about it. We truly don't have to search far for happiness, nor do we have to depend on others or things to supply that happiness. Instead...
1) Take stock of the things that you currently have and express your gratitude. For example, "I am grateful for the roof I have over my head." "I am grateful for the food that is on my table." As a matter of fact, for the next 21 days share five things you are grateful for and do so in the morning before your feet hit the floor and at night before you go to sleep. You can write them down in a journal or say what you are grateful for to yourself; sharing gratitude for the things that you already have not only promotes happiness, but it helps you to attract more of the good "stuff".
2) Make a point each day to do something that brings you joy. It doesn't have to be anything that requires a lot of time or even money, it just has to be something that lights you up on the inside. For example, playing some upbeat dance music, reading the comic's page of the newspaper, or watching a funny movie.
3) Get outside in the sunshine. A great way to lift a mood and create happiness is to be out in the sun for about 15 minutes.
4) Get moving. Exercise and movement is an awesome way to increase the chemicals in your brain that promote happiness. Dance, walk, jog, or even skip...just get moving.
5) Stop the negative self talk. Saying negative things about yourself will only diminish your own happiness. Instead, find one thing that you really like about you and focus on that one thing. Do you have a kind heart? Are your eyes a pretty color?
Whatever you choose, just remember that happiness is a choice you make and solely dependent upon you.
About the Author
Pam Thomas, M.S., PCC, is a passion purveyor, change agent, internal beauty coach, and a mover and shaker maker aka International Coach Federation PCC certified Life, Mentor, and Business Development Coach.
Pam's passion is supporting others in finding their voices, as well as eradicating low self esteem and she has years of experience in empowering people to become their most powerful and confident selves.
She has successfully worked with groups and individuals who have started their own businesses, increased their self confidence, enhanced their internal beauty, gained clarity around their life's passion, taken dreams from paper to reality, become more productive in their careers, and mastered work/life balance.
She is also the author and creator of Will the Real YOU Please Step Forward e-workbook series, a powerful personal development training called the Internal Beauty Boot Camp, and free e-course Getting Your Groove On; 10 Kick Ass Ways to Supercharge Your Life
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.whatswithinu.com