Health Benefits of Probiotics
Probiotics are becoming increasing more popular, but there isn’t much scientific research out about them yet. That’s why the team at Reviews.com spent six weeks evaluating the most popular brands to determine which strains are more effective and how to best use them for greater wellness . After consulting with industry experts, here is what they have found.
What are Probiotics?
There is good and bad bacteria in your body. The good, also known as ‘gut flora’ helps keep your digestive system working by keeping you regular, and supporting your immune system and by regulating the inflammation in your body. It’s important to keep good bacteria alive, but things like stress, frequent antibiotic intake, and excessive sugar can kill off good bacteria. One way to ensure that your body stays in stasis when it comes to your gut flora is to take a probiotic supplement.
Why Should You Take Probiotics?
From weight loss to reduced allergies, probiotics can have many positive health impacts! Here are a few strains in particular that research has supported the benefits of:
1. Reduced Anxiety
Improving your gut flora can help your body better respond to stress, as well as reduce anxiety and boost your mood. The strains L. Casei, L. Rhamnosus, Paracasei have been found to be the best for anxiety and have shown decreased symptoms of seasonal allergies as well.
2. Weight Loss
Regularly taking a probiotic supplement improved blood sugar, lowered the risk for heart disease and diabetes, and contributed to a lower BMI (body mass index), according to clinical trials. If you’re looking to lose weight, keep an eye out for probiotics that contain: B. Brevis, B. Lactis, L. Acidophilus, L. Gasseri, L. Rhamnosus GG
3. Improved Digestion and Relief from Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Your colon needs good bacteria to function properly, and probiotics step in to combat gassiness, bloating, and diarrhea. Digestive enzymes are present in probiotic supplements.
Next Steps: What to Do Now
There is still a surprisingly small amount of research on probiotics. Here’s what we do know:
1. Start small. In order to avoid overloading your body or creating unpleasant side effects, start with a smaller dosage and work your way up.
2. Take probiotics with a meal. Eating raises the pH level in your stomach, which means more good bacteria can make it through to your gut.
3. Get your probiotics in. Probiotics are carbohydrates or sugars that normal human gut flora have a hard time breaking down, but they can help probiotics work more effectively.
4. Eat a healthy diet. A supplement is just that: it’s intended to supplement what you’re already doing, so make sure that you’re getting your nutrients through food so that the probiotics can do their job more effectively.
5. Keep up your probiotic routine. We have to use it continuously for getting the benefits.
Which Supplement Is Right For you?
For a complete guide to probiotics as well as recommendations for brands and strains, check out the Research conducted by Reviews.com.
Health Benefits of Probiotics