Human Resource Department in any organization is considered to be most crucial department and a backbone of any organization; hence it becomes very important to hire the right people in HR Department. Apart from the Job performing skills, an HR Professional success lies in their behavioral skills. Even if an HR Person is strong enough in technical knowledge required to perform the task, but not having a required attitude and behavioral skills, he/she will fail, on the other hand if an HR person have excellent behavioral skills and attitude, they can perform any task easily.
Commonly there are nine important behavioral skills are required for an HR person which has been discussed in details below :
1) Clarity of Thoughts – The responsibilities of crucial decisions of human resources in an organization, lies with the HR department. An HR person often faces the situation where they have to choose one way Either do it or don’t. Sometimes situation becomes so confusing that even we don’t want to do it , but the job demands the decision and role becomes confusing. For an HR Professional clarity of thoughts has to be there. Until he/she (who is suppose to be a deciding factor) is not clear in thoughts, the decision would not turn out to be accurate and fruitful.
2) Efficiency In Time Management – HR professionals is expected to be efficient in time management. Most of the time, I have seen that they don’t give any time limit. You approach them for any work and they respond by saying, OK, it will be done. But when? I agree that Good HR Professional€ have many things to do. Recruitment’s, Employee Relations, Talent Management, Career Development, Benchmarking, etc are the things, which takes lots of time. But, all goals, all dreams, all activities, all commitments looks good and are achievable, if there is a closing date for that. For Example, I want my company to be in top-10 companies in the world. Itâ€™s a Vision. Itâ€™s a good dream. But, if I don’t specify, by which year or in how many years, I want to achieve that goal, it will only remain as a dream and will never become a reality. Uncertainty, Ambiguity, Open-Ended commitment, Confusion, these are things, that are not expected from any HR Professional
3) Compare Situations and Performances â€” This is general human tendency to compare two situations or two people, which often creates confusion, wrong decisions or injustice towards one. Hence for an HR professional it is very much required that they have to come out of this general tendency and do not compare two people or two situations as in order to reach an authentic and fruitful decision which is required for smooth functioning of an organization as well as human resources.
4) Knowledge about the Business and Industry â€” Many a times it is been observed that HR people are not ware of actual business, company strength and weaknesses they are working with, which again lead them to wrong path, misleading decisions and poor performance harming the organizations interests and goals.
5) Vision and Goal â€” An HR Professionals should be clear with the goals such as What they want to do for the organization? Are you planning to implement a competitive compensation plan? Do you want to take your company in the bracket of 20 Best Employers in the Country? Are you planning to acquire best of the talent from market? Do you think that you need to control the growing Attrition Rate of your company? Have you thought about an Organization Development and Talent Management€? Usually, that is the confusion. HR professionals don’t have that vision.
6) Zeal for Data / Calculations / Analysis / Projections – Reason why most of HR professionals despite of having excellent ideas and strategies fails in performing is that they do not support their ideas and strategies with data, analysis and calculations. Behind this fact is that most of people join this profession considering it very easy task and a job where calculations and mathematics is not involved.
7) Enthusiasm for the professional development â€” We all has been studies in our school and colleges level that Knowledge is a wealth; the more you distribute/share the more you gain€. In this profession of Human Resource; we are privileged and are in a very unique position where we can develop people. We can develop their career. We can develop their life. We can help them in changing their perception and behavior. We can groom them, so that they can be successful in their life. Don’t you think that we have very important and crucial role to play?? How many of us have actually thought in these lines? Do, think about it, you have one life, give what you can. If 10 people will remember me once I bid adieu to this world for helping them in developing their life.
8) Self Discipline â€” It is universal truth before u guide else, u should implement on self. For an HR Professional this quality if must. If there job is to set standards and ethics for others, they should set standards, ethics and rules for self first so to motivate others and be an example before they guide them. Discipline in life is a must to grow, prosper and being successful.
9) Trust Worthy â€” Most required quality to succeed in any profession is been trust worthy. Specially for a critical profession like HR. Candidates, at the time of interview share important information with HR; Employees share lots of information, personal, professional, ideas, suggestions, future related, dreams etc. Imagine, if the HR professional keep sharing that information with everyone in the team of HR; will that employee ever comeback to HR to share anything with him. NEVER. HR professionals need to win that trust and then maintain and keep that trust. This is very true for HR Professionals, who are working in â€œEmployee Relations.
If an HR Professionals follows above mentioned qualities religiously and implement in themselves naturally, no body can stop him/her to succeed in the profession and marking a difference in the HR Industry.
About the Author
Bookmytrainings.com – an online training marketplace offers Soft skills Training, NLP Training, PMP Training,ITIL Training,Six Sigma Training, Corporate Training, MS Excel Training, Agile Training, Supply Chain Management Training and Project Management Training â€” Bangalore, Delhi, Pune, Chennai, Mumbai, India.